Fairbourne Railway – Historical Photos

Back to Fairbourne Railway Main Page

 

A horse tramway was built to carry materials to the sites

 

 

Circa 1900. Before long the tramway was also used to carry passengers to the Barmouth Ferry.

 

 

An old timetable with prices of 2 pennies each way on the tram and the ferry.

 

 

Horse-drawn 2-foot gauge tramway. Approaching the end of the line at Ferry Station. Circa 1900

 

 

Circa 1952. The original Dingo before it was completely rebuilt into a larger loco.

 

 

In 1916, the horse tramway was converted to steam. Using miniaturised replicas of mainline locomotives, it became the Fairbourne Miniature Railway, with a gauge of 15 inches.

 

 

Prince Edward of Wales by Bassett-Lowke during 1916

 

 

All the area behind has since been built up with houses.

 

 

Count Louie departing Fairbourne

 

 

Prince Edward of Wales

 

 

At the main terminus

 

 

Ernest W. Twining at Fairbourne, 1963

 

 

Count Louis, 1961

 

 

Prince Charles with Dingo behind, 1961

 

 

The rebuilt Dingo, 1961

 

 

Sylvia and Dingo at the Passing Loop, 1961

 

 

Count Louis, 1961

 

 

Ernest W. Twining at the end of the line at Ferry Station.

 

 

Locos at rest in the station building

 

 

Ernest W. Twining in the workshop

 

 

Sylvia at the Ferry Station, 1961

 

 

This is how it looked in the early ’80s

 

Back to Fairbourne Railway Main Page